Tuesday 30 August 2011

I'm back!

Okay, so now most things are in place in our new apartment and I can write again! Wohoo! I've had like three full-writing days in a row now because of bad weather and stuff. I still, however, can't seem to make the story go very much forward. I have the outline still in mind, but I just can't put it the way I want to on paper; I just can't. It's like something's stopping me - like there's some wall I have to pass before I can make it flow. You know what I mean?

Anyway, I talked to my boyfriend about some ideas yesterday, and he confirmed what I already knew; that I had to make some changes to the story to make it more realistic. On the other hand, he also gave me an idea, so I'm starting to derive from the original idea a little bit, but on the whole it's the same, don't worry! I'm just trying to make it work better! To make it a little more intriguing... At first, it was just a story of eternal love and they were their own enemies, but the idea yesterday changed that - now, it's forbidden love.

I'm struggling with a new title, though, and it frustrates me. I don't like the current title, The Angel of Faith, because it's not very chatching and it doesn't apply as much with the new idea as it did before. I've tried to come up with something using themes, colours, etc, but it's just not working. A friend of mine tried to help, but after thinking about it I figured I don't want something too symbolic, or people won't understand the title without me explaining it first. I'd like something perfect in just one or maximum two words, like Twilight (I know what you're thinking, but no, I'm not trying to copy Twilight in any way, I just see it as an inspiration). I mean, what does Twilight really have to do with love between a human and a vampire? I get the other titles in her series, but not the first, actually (maybe it's just me ^^'). However, the title is catchy and easy to remember, and the word Twilight is just so beautiful... I don't know if you get my point, but anyway ^^'

Progress is slow on my part. I've edited my first chapter like five times and only just finished the second chapter (trying not to edit any more before I've written the whole story now, but we'll see about that. As soon as I'm stuck, I go back and read everything through, and that's usually when I edit a lot).

So here's a question for you guys: how much should you edit before you've written everything, even if you know where the story is heading?You'll probably say, 'just write for now and edit later', but that's not always the way to go. What if something needs to be cut or put into the first chapters to make it work, and you have to change something major? Then you have to write the whole thing over from scratch, won't you?

Well, keep checking in, folks!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you're settling in. It's only a few more weeks now until uni starts :D I hope the weather isn't putting a downer on the whole writing thing, I find the rain really soothing and great atmosphere for writing. I can sympathize with you about the whole title thing, I hate that part, and I also hate the feeling of knowing that you've got an amazing title just burning inside the pit of your stomach but you just can't touch it---trust me, it will come soon, Sabina.

    Oh, and as for the editing, don't keep editing! I've fallen down that path once, and it wasn't nice, so if you must, write something different, write a short story or something, and if you want, edit that. Always keep writing forward, and if you do need to add bits in earlier on, open a new doc and just write it in there. The editing process is called that for a reason, I always leave, piecing things together and edits until the end--I hope you do too, I bet it'll help! :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'll keep it in mind and try not to edit more right now :) Hopefully I'll have no major faults in the story to change, but we'll see how satisfied I am with it once I'm done. :P

    ReplyDelete