Thursday 11 August 2011

Surprise, surprise for me

I've just found out - I've got serious grammar problems!
When I think about it, I feel all hollow inside... I've dedicated my life to the English language by going to the International English School (here in my country) and I've finished the International Baccaleaureate course and I only read books in English and I only write novels in English and I never have subtitles when watching movies and no one around has ever said I have grammar problems, etc, etc, and suddenly the thing most commenters on my newest novel have said is that I HAVE GRAMMAR PROBLEMS and pointed out every little grammar problem in the text and some things I've agreed on and some I've not, and here comes the question - why haven't anybody ever told me about this and why haven't any teachers taught me to spot these things?!

:(

Now I'm sad... I'm going to stop blogging now so I don't upset more people...

2 comments:

  1. Don't stop now, you're on your way to becoming a better writer! When I was shopping my novel out to lit agents and entering it in contests, feedback was rare. When I did receive some negative feedback, it hurt a little, but I also recognized it was a great chance to learn and grow from it. Now my novel is doing better on Amazon than a lot of tradpub authors.

    The trick is being careful who you show your WIP to. Not everyone knows what they're talking about. But get a first reader, someone who knows their stuff. My first reader is my girlfriend, a lifelong bookworm, and without her my novel would be total crap. Keep reading and learning and writing. If you are serious about writing, it is a process that will never stop your entire life. Read The Elements of Style again and definitely read Stephen King's On Writing. And above all else, never give up. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, of course I'm not going to give up. :) I'll learn from the critiques and that's also why I let people read it - to make it better. I was just so chocked to hear that I make as basic mistakes as grammar. I have a very good friend that reads my story but I haven't got it back yet. Hoping for some serious changes in that one :P

    ReplyDelete