Monday 5 September 2011

The perfect idea?

My writing goes slow again, so today I've just tried to do some character development and continued reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer. I must say, it's not in the same league as the Twilight-series. It took me more than half the novel to actually find it the least interesting, but when I did, I couldn't stop laughing.
 She's truly an amazing writer.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the greatest authors get that one perfect idea that has every reader in the whole world adore them, but what happens when that idea is finished? I haven't read anything new by my idol J.K. Rowling lately? And the novel that I'm reading now... it just doesn't grab me. So what is it exactly that makes their perfect idea so perfect, and the other ideas not? Is it just the idea? Or it is something else that doesn't really follow through to the next idea?
Don't get me wrong, I suppose that many authors have written series that are all phenomenal... I just can't think of anyone right now, and that slightly bothers me :S

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how I get my ideas, but if I did I would bottle the formula up and sell it, because I have loads of series ideas--and most of them are written down and planned.

    I would love to see something new from J.K Rowling but I don't think anything will ever compare to Harry Potter--at all or ever!

    Don't stress over ideas or force at them because they'll become stunted and formulaic. Just Google writing prompts and you might find something to get your juices flowing :D

    ReplyDelete